Ingredients for 6 persons:
- 500 grams of dried white beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small stalk of celery in slices
- 1 half small onion
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium-sized carrots in slices
- 400 grams of chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
For the garnish:
- Bit of spring onion or roughly chopped parsley / celery leaves
- Put the beans in a pan of cold water overnight. Drain the next day, add 2 litres of water, 1 whole garlic clove, 1 bay leaf, the celery and half an onion and cook with the lid on for an hour until tender. Keep an eye on the water while cooking, you may need to add a little extra. Add the salt in the last 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a soup pan, fry the chopped onion, add the tomato puree and the tomatoes, the garlic and the carrot. Bring to the boil and add another 125 ml of water, season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans with the cooking liquid and all to the sauce, and cook for 20 minutes until a thick soup is formed.
- Garnish the soup with the spring onion and the herbs; salted fish and bread are also delicious.
Scroll down for the products you need for this recipe.