Mousaka is a tricky dish, which cannot be made just like that. Do you want to make it? Then take your time and follow this recipe carefully. The result will be excellent. The recipe is suitable for 6 persons.
Ingredients for the vegetables:
- 1.5 kg sliced potatoes
- 2 sliced courgettes
- 2 aubergines in slices
These vegetables should be fried in olive oil. Remove some of the oil with kitchen paper. It is important that not too much oil goes into the dish with the vegetables.
Ingredients for the minced meat:
- 750 grams of lean beef mince, with lamb mince is also possible
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 tin of tomato puree Kyknos ( 200 g )
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper, pinch of cinnamon and cloves
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, fry the onion and garlic, add the minced meat and fry it for 15 minutes until done. Add the tomato puree with the spices and maybe a dash of water, and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
Ingredients for the bechamel sauce:
- 125 grams of margarine
- 125 grams of flour
- 1.5 litres of milk
- Salt, pepper, small grated nutmeg
- 2 beaten eggs
- Gently heat the milk in a pan.
- In another pan melt the margarine, add the flour and stir constantly for 10 minutes on a low heat. Until the roux (butter and margarine) is cooked, take it off the heat, let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Pour the warm milk into the roux (flour with margarine), stir with a whisk until it is well loosened, put the heat on high and, while stirring continuously with a whisk, bring to the boil. Add the beaten eggs, the spices and perhaps a little grated cheese or kefalografiera.
Construction of the mousaka:
- Take a baking dish measuring about 25 by 25 and 7 cm deep. First put a layer of potatoes on the bottom, then a layer of fried courgettes and then a layer of aubergines. Now add the minced meat mixture and repeat the layers of vegetables in the same order. Now pour the bechemel sauce over it. Put the dish into the preheated oven at 160 degrees for about 60 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes, sprinkle some Kefalograviera over the dish.
- Leave the mousaka to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve with a Greek salad and a glass of Nemea Lantides.
Scroll down for the products you need for this recipe.