Prepare for the flavours of Greece with this delicious recipe for traditional Greek Spanakopita. Spanakopita is a savoury pastry filled with spinach, feta and herbs, encased in layers of crispy filo pastry. This iconic Greek dish is perfect as an appetiser, snack, or even a light meal. Follow this easy-to-follow recipe and bring the flavour of Greece to your table. Don't forget that you can find all the ingredients you need in our webshop!
- 500 grams fresh spinach leaves (or frozen spinach, thawed and drained)
- 200 grams feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the phyllo layers:
- 250 grams phyllo pastry sheets
- 100 grams unsalted butter, melted
Prepare the filling:
- If using fresh spinach, wash the leaves thoroughly and remove any tough stems.
- Blanch the fresh spinach in boiling water for 1-2 minutes until wilted, then drain and squeeze out any excess moisture. If using frozen spinach, ensure it is thawed and well-drained.
- Chop the spinach finely and place it in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese, chopped onion, minced garlic, fresh dill, and fresh parsley to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
Assemble the Spanakopita:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Brush a baking dish with melted butter to prevent sticking.
- Carefully unfold the phyllo pastry sheets and cover them with a damp kitchen towel to prevent drying out.
- Place one sheet of phyllo pastry in the baking dish, allowing the excess to hang over the edges. Brush it lightly with melted butter.
- Repeat this process, layering 5-6 sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Spread the spinach and feta filling evenly over the layered phyllo pastry.
Complete the layers:
- Continue layering the remaining phyllo pastry sheets on top of the filling, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Fold the excess phyllo pastry over the top to create a border.
- Brush the top layer generously with melted butter.
Bake the Spanakopita:
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the phyllo pastry turns golden brown and crispy.
Serve and enjoy:
- Remove the Spanakopita from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Cut it into squares or triangles and serve warm.
- Spanakopita can be enjoyed as an appetizer, snack, or even a light main dish.
Remember to defrost frozen filo pastry overnight in the fridge before use. Our Greek online supermarket offers a wide range of authentic Greek ingredients, including filo pastry, feta cheese and extra virgin olive oil, to help you recreate this traditional recipe with ease.
Enjoy the authentic flavours of Greece with this delicious Spanakopita recipe. With layers of crispy filo dough and a delectable spinach and feta filling, this dish is a real crowd pleaser.
Scroll down for the products you need for this recipe.