Ingredients for 6 persons:
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- Bit of dried oregano
- Bit of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 300 grams of small brown lentils
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 carrot in slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 300 grams of ripe tomatoes, coarsely grated (without skin)
- A traditional Greek soup is finished with a few drops of vinegar. First, put the vinegar in a bowl, crush 1 garlic clove and add it to the vinegar together with the oregano, 1 bay leaf and the rosemary. Set aside to infuse.
- Rinse the lentils and put them in the pan with 1.75 litres of cold water, add the remaining garlic and bay leaf, the olive oil, onion, carrot and cinnamon stick and bring to the boil. If necessary, scrape off the foam. Cook for 25 minutes with the lid on.
- Now add the tomatoes and season the soup with salt and pepper. Leave the soup to simmer for 20 minutes until it thickens, if necessary with the lid on until the right thickness is reached.
- Take the soup off the heat, add 3 tablespoons of the vinegar mixture and let the soup rest for a while.
- When serving, add extra virgin olive oil and perhaps some of the vinegar mixture. A piece of farmers' bread and a salt fish also taste great with this.
Scroll down for the products you need for this recipe.